Friday, November 6, 2009

The "Gold" truck

One day in Port-au-Prince I was driving with a Haitian friend when we saw this truck loaded down with brightly-colored plasticware, fans, and home products from China. They were blaring a message from a loud-speaker and playing loud music.

I asked my friend what this truck was all about. He said people bring their gold jewelry and other valuables to the truck and they get to pick a “prize” from among the items displayed.

As I though about this, it seemed that we are often tempted to do the same thing. We exchange something of great value for something that looks flashy or we think will make us happy in the moment. Like when I'm tempted to make an impulsive purchase, or waste my valuable time on an internet “sweepstakes”.

But some things are so valuable, you can't get them back once you give them away. Like your virginity, or your good name. Trust that has been built up over a lifetime can be lost through a single bad decision.

So next time we're tempted by the things of this world, let's remember that our relationships and character are much more valuable than anything this world has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment