Friday, March 18, 2011

Rich and the Big Fish!

I’m always a few years behind in my reading and movie watching, so it didn’t bother me that I just read Soul Surfer, the story of Bethany Hamilton’s recovery from a shark attack where she lost her left arm. Her story of getting back on the surf board after her attack reminded me of how I had to work at recovering from my gunshot wound so that I could play soccer and basketball again.

I never thought that snorkeling would remind me of her story. After all, the biggest fish I usually see snorkeling in the clear Caribbean water in Haiti are about the size of a bird. On this particular day I had seen an interesting, long, thin fish that reminded me of a pencil, as well as a tiny little fish whose head was deep purple, and whose body was bright yellow.

As I was heading back into shore, I suddenly saw a really BIG fish out of the corner of my eye, and suddenly remembered Bethany’s story. I turned and thankfully saw it swimming away from me, and I wasn’t about to chase it and find out what kind of fish it was. I’m not sure if it was some kind of shark, or a type of swordfish common to the area called a “Wahoo”. In any event, it definitely scared me, and I swam as fast as I could to the shore, constantly looking over my shoulder to see if it was chasing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment