Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sometimes I get mad!

The roads near our house in Haiti have gotten noticeably worse since we left six months ago. The summer rains have taken their toll. At a key intersection near our house there is a police check point where during the day and most of the night there are 2-3 policemen. While we were away rain water carved a deep grove across this intersection and when hurricane Isaac hit, it became a gully deep enough to make 4WD vehicles scrap bottom.

I got mad as I realized that this started as a small trickle across the road but eventually the water bore it’s way down and ate away the road until it became a big problem. Perhaps if someone had notified the Haitian street department that there was a problem right away, this might not have become so bad. As they say: “a stitch in time saves nine”. And I got mad that there was going to be a traffic jam on Monday morning as cars would have to navigate across this “mini grand canyon”.

So I stopped and took some old tires from the side of the road and started to do what I could to solve the problem. Then a Haitian neighbor showed up with a shovel and we started working together. Another man helped as well and after 30 minutes we had filled one hole.

I counted my blister as a badge of hard work, and the dirt and sweat as my work out that day.

The next morning when Carol and I passed by at 7 AM, I saw that most of our work had been washed away. But by 9 AM the “canyon” had been filled with packed dirt which at least made it passable.

So maybe God used me as a catalyst to get the whole fixed!

In Psalm 90:9, we read that God gets angry about our sin. Thank God we have a Savior to save us from God’s wrath! Let’s use our anger to motivate us to turn to Christ for forgiveness and ask him to turn our anger into loving action.

No comments:

Post a Comment