Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Corrine Gries shares about her stay with us!


I've been in Port-Au-Prince, thanks to a last minute "change of plans" (within 24 hours of getting on the plane in the US) - I originally intended to go to the orphanage, but here I am with people that I met on Skype at 830pm the night before I left ;) Thank the Lord for CrossWorld, I met this couple (from Pennsylvania, of all places) that have been in Haiti for several years. Carol works at a Christian school in Port-Au-Prince, and I was able to watch her interact with her students... I loved how she took a moment as a "teaching moment" of doctrine in French class. I love the way she cares for students as individuals and values them. She has a gentle, yet "strong" presence. Richard has a soccer ministry. While I was here, he and his team had a major conference in Fond Parisien (near the Dominican Republic border) to encourage soccer coaches and chaplains in their ministry (or those that play soccer, who with new tools, can see soccer as a ministy). I met one gentleman and asked if he had learned a lot. He was so thankful for the training, as he was thirsty for resources to help with his ministries all over haiti. This was a big deal for many who came. Richard is passionate about people knowing Christ, and I've been touched by the number of times he's said, "we need to pray."

Really, these are their "jobs." Ministry, in a sense, is "how" one lives.... "how" one interacts with neighbors and friends (and strangers like me). I have met the people they have befriended here... a youg man, a woman with 3 kids, for example, who they "walk with" through life. I found this quote recently on the CrossWorld FB page: "What is a disciple? Someone who is learning to live and love like Jesus and helps others to do the same." What I like is the honesty of the "in progress-ness" of each of us (if I may make up a word) and the power that God uses us despite not yet being perfected. I have many examples of this at home, and I am thankful for a new "picture" of this here...

In addition to inviting me into their home, they've invited me into their life in HOW they have been transparent with me. They have not "glamorized" life in Haiti, but they have shared what they love and have shared the challenges. I have learned much, and I have been thankful for this "safe place" that they've allowed me to enter... At the moment, I really can't articulate how thankful I am for these new friends.

I've seen many new places this week in PAP, including the national museum, Petionville, and Fond Parisien (beautiful).... and a salt lake pond between Haiti and the DR because the ocean used to separate the island (ya learn something every day)...

No comments:

Post a Comment