Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Soccer Match

The emphasis for the first 2 days of training was on soccer and evangelism. Pastor Sony Camilus of Campus Pour Christ in Haiti did the evangelism training. Then we gave the participants the opportunity to put what they learned into practice by organizing an exhibition soccer game between the Haitian Coast Guard team and the Radio Megastar team. It was an exciting match with each team trading goals until the Coast Guard team finally prevailed 3-2. But was even more exciting was that over 300 people attended the game and filled out response cards. Many indicated that they had trusted in Christ!
A Defining Moment

There are certain times in your life when you get a glimpse of why God created you. One of those times is when you hold your children in your arms for the first time. They look up at you and you understand the joy of seeing a new life just begun.

I had another moment like that after our evangelistic soccer match. I was heading toward the truck after the game, exhausted and just wanting to get things packed up and get back to the guesthouse so I could rest. As I approached the car, I saw several of our participants talking to a young man with a soccer ball in his hand. It turned out that the young man named Louis James had just won the soccer ball in the drawing we had just held for those who turned in their response cards. The conference participants were very excited and introduced me to James and told me that he would like to trust Christ as his Savior. I talked to the young man and shared with him some Bible verses and then he started his new relationship with Christ that very moment!

This is the second birth that the apostle John talks about in John 3. To me it was just as exciting as the birth of any one of my children – and this second birth means that I will see Louis in heaven and spend eternity with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment