Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Great Afternoon of Ministry

Sometimes you forget the things you really love to do when you haven't done them for a while!

Yesterday I had the opportunity to coach and do a Gospel presentation to about 30 Haitian boys between 10 and 12 years old.

I was introduced to this team by my good friend Louis Price-Mars who is working with gang leaders and business owners to try and reduce violence in one section of Port-au-Prince. He saw this former professional soccer player working with kids in the area and wanted to encourage him so he asked me to meet him and see how we could help.

The boys were very well-behaved and I had a great time coaching them. They loved it when I was "monkey-in-the-middle" and they had to keep the ball away from me! Then I taught them a passing drill that even players twice their age have trouble with and they got it right away.

Afterwards we talked about how soccer has rules and if you break the rules, you probably won't win the game. Then I transitioned into how God gave us certian rules to follow in the Bible and how we can't possibly follow all those rules. That's why God had to send Jesus: to forgive us for breaking the rules and help us "win" the game of life.

A small crowd had gathered in addition to the 30 boys and I could see that many were really listening.

Afterwards I gave the coach a Gospel tract and some materials he could use to teach the boys more about Jesus.

Our follow up plan is to make contact with some of the local churches the boys already attend and help them follow up with the boys. We also have several coaches we trained in December who live near the neighborhood and hope to put them in touch with this team.

These days most of my time is spend in administration and organizing, and I really miss coaching and being with kids - so I'll have to do this more often!!

No comments:

Post a Comment