Sunday, June 22, 2008

Travelling

I'm writing this from the Dominican Republic where I'm going to study Spanish for two weeks. Partly because I'm working towards regular certification in the US, and partly because I love langugaes. Richard was here for the weekend, but now I'm alone in a country where I barely speak the language. It's good for me because it helps me remember what it's like for people who are beginners in French or English. I'm staying in the apartment of a friend in an area where I don't know anyone who speaks English, French or Creole. It's forcing me to use the little I know! |It was interesting going to church in Spanish. They even did the one Spanish chorus that Richard taught me years ago: "Alabare." That was fun. The embarrassing part was when they were doing the announcements at the end and my brain was tiring of trying to understand so I just looked at my bulletin and focused on reading the announcement s until....out of the corner of my eye, I saw a lady waving at me. I looked up and the whole congregation was waving at me. The pastor was saying something in my direction0--I don't know what! but I figured they were saying hello to visitors. So, I said that I didn't understand but I was here for 2 weeks to study Spanish. My course starts tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a big day for Richard, too. He is driving out to Verrettes with Ian Moore (AACH) and two college students who have come to help with the evangelistic tournaments in that area. In the next two weeks they will be going to Verrettes, St. Raphael, Hinche and Limbe. Please pray for safety and mostly for the success of the tournaments, presentations, etc. in each town.
Hopefully we'll put some pictures up soon.
--Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment