Sunday, November 15, 2009

Wow! Another answer to prayer

I had asked you to pray for our neighbors, specifically, Sophie, a teenage Mom with a little girl named Sophonie.

Last year I was praying a lot about them and others in their family and the others they were living with. But then things happened...like she moved away. It turns out she didn't move far away, and her Mom still lives down the street from me, so she started coming here a lot again. Another reason I stopped being focused on reaching out to her with the gospel was because I was feeling overwhelmed by not knowing if people are telling the truth, if they are coming around just because we give them food, medicine and clothes, etc.

But, yesterday we were sitting on my back porch, I was holding Sophonie (now 3) and feeding her Applesauce Cake I had just made. I'm not sure how it came up, but Sophie said "I would go with you to church." I was very surprised. She said she would need clothes though. (A cultural thing--it's considered disrespectful to go in old clothes, ladies "must" have sleeves and close-toed shoes.) We talked about that, about how I go to an English church, but I'd love to go to a Creole church with her. But we didn't make specific plans.

Today she stopped by and as we were talking, she said "you're my only friend, you know." "What?" I was surprised again. She said that she can't talk to anybody because all they do is gossip. She said she's trying to stay away from guys. So I brought up our idea of going to church and mentioned that maybe she could make some new friends who want to follow the Lord. So we decided to try for next Sunday.

I'm so excited. I didn't know she was this open. Please pray for this to work out...for God to give me wisdom as to what church to bring her to...for new friends for her...for our relationship.


Here's a picture of my sweet little Sophonie with a doll I gave her for her 3rd birthday. As soon as she got it, she kissed it's little face right away, before we took it out of the box. By the way, she does have clothes, but she does NOT like to wear them. I always give her a hard time about coming to my house without clothes on. (And, yes, it's a black baby doll).

No comments:

Post a Comment