Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day one of Trip to train leaders in Haiti

Many Challenges, but blessings too!

This morning started out with several "good deeds" for the day! I gave four young men a ride to school, and then on the way back to my house to pack, I gave a ride to a Mom and her 3 year old daughter. In Haiti, it is not impolite to ask someone if they are "saved", so I asked the Mom. She said yes, and then stated that she attends a local church. When she got out of the car holding her daughter's hand, I put a "25 stories from the Bible" picture book in her other hand and suggested that she read it to her daughter.

Then plans started to get off track: After packing the car and getting all ready to go, I couldn't reach one of my leaders who I thought was supposed to come to my house. So I had to go over to his house to find him. At this point we were about an hour behind schedule. Then my favorite short-cut to get out of Port-au-Prince was closed.due to violent demonstrations and burning tires. We had to take a detour and ended up in a huge traffic jam for 1 1/2 hours. When we finally did get out of town, we found out that hurricane Sandy had damaged an important bridge and we had to take a 20 minute detour.

But that's the nice thing about Haiti: People expect you to be late and don't really get angry if you are. So thanks to the miracle of cell phones, we were able to postpone our meetings by about 2 hours. Most of the people we hoped to see came to the meetings, and they were productive.

However, just as our second meeting was coming to a close, a huge rain storm hit the town we were in, and we were stranded for about a hour before it let up. When I drove some of the leaders home, I was amazed to find out that no rain fell in a town only 2 miles away from the town we were in!

So as they say, better late than never!

We would appreciate your prayers tomorrow as we do a training of 16 teams in Gonaives.

No comments:

Post a Comment