Sunday, March 9, 2008

Passing the Test

Passing the test

The other day I was helping to teach Lucasse, a young man who works in the Ambassador’s Cyber cafe how to drive.

Lucasse played on the Lemuel Soccer Club for a few years and when we started a cyber café in Haiti to help us learn how to start a business in Haiti, he was a natural choice help us as an intern.

I wanted to encourage Lucasse to get his driver’s license so that he could help when driving was necessary for the business.

So early one morning before the cyber café opened I took him to the English church’s property, which is rather large for Haiti, and let him drive around. I thought it would be good to practice parallel parking with him so I moved these volleyball poles that were stuck into cement-filled tires. It turned out that was a mistake.

The next day my back was killing me, and it got even worse the day after. As I write this I am still in a lot of pain.

But, yesterday I took Lucasse for his driver’s test and he passed! He passed, and I was in pain. He was happy, I was in pain. He told everyone he had passed, I told everyone I was in pain. I was happy for Lucasse, but the pain kind of dampened my enthusiasm.

This reminds me of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. Once we put our trust in Christ, we are happy and tell everyone “I’m saved from my sins – I passed the test and now have a place reserved for me in heaven!” Jesus is happy for us, but I don’t think he’ll ever forget completely about the pain he suffered so that we could pass from death to life!

No comments:

Post a Comment