Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lessons from a humming Bird




While we were staying in a hotel in La Pointe near Port-de-Paix during our trip, a humming bird got into one of our rooms.
The poor bird flitted around and bumped into the window in a frantic attempt to escape.

When it got exhausted it would rest for a few seconds (which is when I got the pictures), but then it would start another desparate try to be free.

Finally, after seeing the bird get more and more frustrated and exhausted, we opened the window and let the poor thing free.

I couldn't help but feel that God was showing me a picture of my life lately. I have been so busy doing things and flying around at a frantic pace that I have become tired. When I do quiet down and rest from sheer exhaustion, my heart is still pounding and then I feel panic again over how much there is to be done before leaving Haiti in a few weeks and I get up and start to fly about working on my "to-do" list until I drop again.

God seemed to be telling the Israelites this in Isaiah 30:15: "This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it."

God wants to give me a peace in the midst of this busy time in my life, and I need to see that only He can open the window and give me freedom and rest. (Just to help me rest, I got a bad case of "Haitian Happiness" when I got back from the trip - thank God it did not happen on the 10 hour trip back!!)

Lord, don't let me have a stubborn heart like the Isrealites and refuse to repent and rest in you during this busy time of finishing up school and preparing to leave house and ministry behind for the summer.

How about you? Will you chose to trust God and rest in him, or will you fly about in frustration like the hummingbird?

No comments:

Post a Comment