Saturday, October 17, 2009

Girls' Small Group

Yesterday I had my first meeting of my small group for girls that is part of the Youth Ministry of Quisqueya Chapel. I think it was a good start.

The small groups this year are "interest groups," and ours will be doing some baking, cooking, sewing and crafts. We are also studying the book of Mark (as is the whole church--in small groups). I am co-leading with a another missionary who was out of the country this week, but is coming back this week. We have 9 7th and 8th graders, half of them MKs and half of them girls from the neighborhood around Quisqueya Chapel. It will be a challenge to get them to connect. Last year's group didn't go so well in that regard. But this year, instead of having the small group as a 10 minute activity at the end of the youth meeting, we're allowing more time and going to our homes when possible.

Yesterday we started out meeting at the church. I share a song with the girls (from my laptop) that I just discovered and really love. It's called "By Your Side" and it's by Tenth Avenue North. My daughter Joy recommended it. It fit perfectly with our Bible Study from the first part of Mark about the baptism of repentence. I shared with them what I had heard online by the musician who wrote it. He was expressing how God was impressing on him that when we sin, we can go to God immediately. He doesn't need us to feel bad about for a certain amount of time or try to get better first before repenting and enoying his forgiveness. Of course regretting the sin is part of the process and we should focus on not sinning in that way again, but we can come to him right away "in the dead of night" as the author says.

After the song, Introductions, Bible study and discussion, I got out my beads. I showed them how I like to make beaded bookmarks and stretchy ribbon bookmarks to sell to help people in need. (one of the goals of our group is to help others with the things we make.) But I told them that whenever anybody helps me with these, it seems they really want to make a necklace. So for the first day I let each girl make one necklace or pair of earrings for herself.

Just to let you know what kinds of things we'll deal with in the group....I'll share this....
One of the girls lives in an orphanage (J) and is being adopted by a Canadian family. But this adoption has been taking years. I dont' know what she's been through before she came to the orphanage, or what it's like for her living with 50 (?) or more girls, the directors and some nannys (boys are in a separate home, babies, I think, are with the girls). Anyway, she made a beautiful pair of earrings quickly and then started making other ones. I reminded her that she was only allowed to make one pair for herself. She immediately (and expressionlessly) put everything back in one of my bins and sat there. Still showing no emotion. I didn't know what to make of it so I wen taround to other girls for a bit. Then I said she could make a necklace if she wanted, because I don't have many earring holders. She turned me down. Just sat there. Later one of the MKs was having a hard time tying a knot and remembered that I had remarked about how well "J" did at tying tiny knots for her earrings, so she asked her to help her. "J" went over and helped her (still expressionless). At the end I said, "J, don't you want to take a pair of earrings?" "No."
I don't know what was going on inside. ('I don't need your stupid earrings!' ? or 'I was making them for YOU to SELL!' ?.....no idea.) All last year she was in my group and hardly talked. I'm sure her English is a little lacking too. Pray for her please. As I said, I have no idea--yet--what she's been through or what it's like for her.
Thanks,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment