Friday, July 6, 2012

Diary of Trip to Haiti June 14-21, 2012 Day Six

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

We got up and Ed was complaining of an upset stomach. I had an early meeting with Pastor Doucet who is on the board of AIS Haiti. By the time I got back to the house, Ed said he was feeling OK, so I we jumped in the car and set out on our adventures for the day.





I had to go to the bank near the main park in Haiti named Champs de Mars. The presidential palace is in this part, as well as Haiti’s only history museum. So after doing some sight-seeing , Ed and Justin went to the museum with an AIS-Haiti co-worker, Ronald and I went to the bank.
While Ed and Justin were at the museum they got into a conversation with a Haitian-American who spoke English very well. They ended up sharing the Gospel with this young man who listened intently and thanked them afterwards for sharing such encouraging words.

However, Ed was not feeling good, so we headed back to the guesthouse and while Ed was getting the ice chest from the back of the pick-up he got dizzy and fell. At this point, I decided we had better take Ed to see a doctor. So I called up Dr. Jeudy, the same doctor who had treated me after I was shot. He called me back and said he was in his clinic and we could come right over.

After examining Ed, Dr. Jeudy said that he was dehydrated and would need at least 3 bags of intravenous serum to get re-hydrated. So they put Ed on a gurney (in the woman’s delivery room! gave him a pink hospital gown) and started the IV.
Once he was settled I went back to the guesthouse and got him an extra pillow, lots of snacks, water and his book. Justin was with him the whole time, and I also left Ronald with them. I also brought Charles, a Haitian friend who lives at the guesthouse who speaks a little English so he could translate if need be.





Then I went on to my next appointment: Talking to the Amputee soccer players who had taken part in the Ambassadors Communication business. These meetings went well and through them we better understood some of the challenges of starting a business in Haiti.

After these meetings, I went back to the hospital to pick Ed and the other guys up. Ed was feeling much better and even complained of being hungry! So we went back to the guest house and had a little dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment