Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cookies and the Gospel

During our training trip to Verrettes about a month ago four young men trusted in Christ. Here's the story of how God used us to draw them to himself:

When we go to Verrettes, we usually stay in a large house that used to be a missionary's house that hosted a lot of teams. It has large windows that are easy to look through and so the neighborhood kids love to come and see who is visiting. Sylvain, one of our Haitian trainers, heard two boys calling in through the window asking for food early in the morning. So he invited them in, gave them something to eat and also shared the Gospel with them. Both of them trusted in Christ and Sylvain followed up with them the next day.

The next day I (Rich) had just finished teaching a session and went outside for a break when two boys came up and asked me for food. I went to the car to get them some cookies and also got some Christian Tracts in Creole that I always keep in the car. I sat down on the ground with them and read the tract to them while they ate their cookies. Another Haitian Christian friend walked by and so I asked him to join us. Together we talked to the boys for a long time and found out that one of the boy’s father had died and he was living with his Grandparents. The other was from a very poor family, according to my Haitian friend. We explained the Gospel to them clearly and both boys indicated they would like to receive Christ. After we prayed with them I gave my Haitian friend some money so that he could buy some sandals for the one boy.

The next day we met with them both again to teach them more about growing in Christ and the importance of going to church. My Haitain friend, Rosime, who lives in the area will follow up with them and I'll check on them next time I go to Verrettes!

No comments:

Post a Comment